Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cast-On-Itis

I've done a self-check, and have decided I do not have the dreaded cast-on-itis, despite beginning two projects within a 24 hour period. (Three in 48 if you count the No-Sophie, but that sounds suspicious, so finished objects don't count, right?) See, I can't show you Anne's bag. Plus, quite honestly, after doing one little bag in a little over 24 hours, the second one was starting to feel like garter stitch purgatory, and there was this perfect yarn for which I'd found the perfect pattern...




Yeah, yeah, the Tofutsies sock is still unfinished too. I very nearly picked it up to finish it off, but a girl needs a travel sock, and I think we're going to town this afternoon, so there's about an hour of knitting which might get me pretty close to the completion of sock one. See? I can justify my choices. (Denial? Me? I don't know what you're talking about.)




Okay, the truth of the matter is it's getting cooler, and I was feeling selfish again. That NH Knitting Mama yarn was calling my name, and since I was emailed a .pdf file with the Dream in Color Shrug pattern I found to do the fiber art justice, I just couldn't stand it. Plus, the pattern has a definite lace element, and some of you know I've become almost consumed with trying my hand at beyond sock lace. (The yarn is NOT that shiny. It's a fabulous, matte finish in a semi-solid green. It's so soft and squooshy!)



The actual colorway is somewhere between the too shiny, too blue-ish photo above and this too yellow one. That's the first repeat of the lace pattern, and I look forward to making some serious progress on the shrug later today. It's a pleasant little pattern, with a 20-row repeat, but the lace pattern is only worked on the odd rows, and three rows within that pattern repeat. I couldn't be happier with the marriage of the yarn and the pattern, and hope to be wearing my first lace, first shrug, later this week.


I would be remiss if I didn't give Pick up Sticks a plug. I wish more retailers would offer patterns via email. Yes, I understand copyright/reprint issues, but I'm also an impatient little brat, and I am positive that this pattern wouldn't have arrived this week without the pleasures of technology. Then where would I be?! (Slogging away on Anne's bag, finishing a sock and casting on for its mate? Pouting because I'd found *THE* pattern for the yarn I most wanted to knit with, to be certain.)

8 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! It's so exciting to see my (your!) yarn worked up! I'm so excited about how well it is working up, and even more excited that you're using it already.

Thanks for the confidence booster today. I needed that !!!!!!

Sue J. said...

I so agree about patterns being available via download. When I want them, I want them now. And isn't it less costly and better for the environment? Wish everyone would get on board. Love the yarn you are using. Great color.

Virtuous said...

I am assuming you are doing the Dream in Color shrug??

If so, that is going to be so cute!! Another item I just added to my que!! :op

Holly said...

That shrug is going to be perfect for fall. I can't wait to see more of it. Love the lace pattern.

Bubblesknits said...

That looks great! Good job on the yarn, NH Knitting Mama!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is a pretty shrug pattern! Pretty for being green..lol can't wait to see it finished.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Your shrug is going to be so pretty! Can't wait to see more pictures :)

I'd like to find a simple lace shawl (or something) pattern to use my NH Knitting Mama yarn!

Anonymous said...

Hello from your FFBE partner! Love the NH Knitting Mama yarn and it is going to be lovely in that pattern. I haven't been lurking as much as I want but am hopefully back on track and full spoiling ahead! Questions: what is your preferred sock knitting method and what needles do you use? Also, favorite sock yarn or one you want to try?