Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Y'all Call Cleatis...

He ain't never seen nuthin' like this. (And yes folks, we have a family friend named Cleat, and he most certainly would be interested in knowing that I'm suddenly into coffee. I'm also sure that Cleat thinks that any of that fancy stuff is stupid; Folgers is ritzy by his standards.)

I'm looking forward to Anne and Holly's coffee swap. (Even my mother inlaw glanced at the computer screen and remarked, "You're doing coffee now?!") Um, yeah. But please, pal o' mine, please don't try to broaden my horizons too much!

Sign-ups begin October 24th. (Anne's birthday, just so you know.)




So, here we go with the questionnaire:

I happen to love lengthy questionnaires, and obviously, my friends the hostesses do too, but if you don't, there will be another post sooner or later, so it won't hurt my feelings if you don't read along!

Coffee

What are your favorite kinds of coffee? (Brands, Roasts, anything at all you'd like to share!)

Iced. Mochas. If it's hot, I need it to not taste like coffee so much. If it's cold, add milk and a touch of Splenda or a flavoring syrup, and I'm good. Seriously? Starbucks peppermint mocha was my first clue that I didn't hate coffee. For summer, it's been McDonald's Iced Coffee. Large, plain or hazelnut.

Do you prefer whole bean or ground coffee?

Now, don't laugh, but whole bean is good. I actually own a grinder, although I use it for flax seed.

This time of year, there are often Holiday Blends available, and many flavored coffees - do you drink flavored coffee? Do you enjoy special blends?

See above. If it's hot coffee, it has to be flavored. I don't like vanilla, but my mother inlaw does. I like chocolates, mints and nuts.


How do you take your coffee? Cream and Sugar? Straight up? Decaf?

Lots of cream or milk - I'm not choosy. Splenda over sugar if I have the choice, and you can hold the decaf. I like caffeine.

Do you prefer drinking from a nice thick mug, or a matched cup and saucer?

I love the *IDEA* of a dainty cup and saucer, and I enjoy using a fine china cup when I get the chance. However, for day to day life, I'm a honkin' big mug kind of girl. (Here's the truth; if I'm acting like a lady, seated somewhere, bring on the cup and saucer. But if I have to TAKE my hot beverage somewhere, like to my desk, the living room, etc., it needs to be a mug, not quite filled, and there's still a chance I'll slosh.)

Winter and Holidays - PLEASE be descriptive! Your pal will need this information to be sure to put together a package you will enjoy!

What is your favorite part of Winter?

The cold part? Right now, I'm looking forward to wearing my sweaters, jeans, knitted socks, etc. I also love nothing more than a pretty, fresh snow first thing in the morning, or under the moonlight.

Do you celebrate a holiday in December, and if so, which holiday?

Christmas, in the rather traditional fashion. However, I have friends with a vast range of beliefs and practices, and I like to learn about different traditions and such.

If you celebrate Christmas, do you put up a tree?

You bet! It's the extent of my decorating most years.

Would you enjoy items related to the holiday, or would you prefer a Winter themed package?

Either, but please, no angels. I'm an open-minded Christian, but I'm not a big fan of angels as decorations.

Do you collect anything?

Dog ornaments, specifically jack russell or heck, even still a basset hound. I also like stars, pewter or brass ornaments, and the Knight has almost enough fire department ornaments for his own tree.

I also love holiday dishes. Anything with red, green and gold fits in with my dining room plans. I have a wild notion that mismatched holiday/winter tea cups and saucers would be fun so that I can start the tradition of a holiday tea.


Are there any holiday or winter-themed items (Snowmen, Angels, Snoflakes, Santas, etc) that you collect?

Stars. I love stars. I'm not sure how holiday themed they are, but they're easier to find around Christmas...

Do you wear scarves? Mittens? Hats?

Scarves and hats. Can't drive in mittens, can't hold onto a dog leash too well in mittens...

What is your favorite holiday or winter treat?

Pumpkin or peppermint anything. ANYTHING.

Please share a favorite Winter or Holiday memory.

Food. Family. Laughter. There's the year my mother inlaw and my brother inlaw's now former mother inlaw got into the wine and wandered around in the snow. I have an assortment of memories with various parts of my family, but they all involve food, family and laughter.

Winter? Playing in the snow. Good times. Fred loved to snort snow.


Yarn and Crafting

Do you Knit or Crochet?

Knit. I can't even do a great single chain in crochet.

For how long?

11 months and counting... Let's just say a year, okay?

Do you like wooden, metal, or plastic needles\hooks?

Depends on the project. I'm loving my Knitpick Harmonys right now, and I think I have just about every need in metal, so let's say wood/bamboo.

Circular or straight?

Circs, almost exclusively. I don't use straights for much other than dishcloths, but there are some pretty wooden ones out there! DPNs are good too, but I think I have at least one of every size of those.


What sort of projects do you enjoy making?

Socks. Felted bags. Socks. Anything new. Socks. Lace. Socks.

What are your favorite types of yarn to work with?

Unless I'm felting, I like wee little yarns. For socks, Tofutsies are my favorites, but I love trying new yarns too. I'm getting interested in lace, so that's a whole, new ballgame. I especially enjoy wool-alternatives or blends.

Do you spin or dye?

As a child, I spun in circles and my family called it "Going to the Baldwin Sister's." Fans of The Waltons will know what they meant.

So the short answer is no. And I never will, because my friends humor me and spoil me with their own efforts.


Do you do other crafts such as scrapbooking or needlepoint or anything else?

I used to, before I became consumed by knitting. Scrapbooks and stamping are the only things still on my radar.

General

When is your birthday?

July 1

Do you have any children? (Furry kind count!)

Just one very rotten Jack Russell Terror. I doubt that will change before the end of this swap, but if it does, you won't be able to miss it. (And that would be another dog, not a baby. There will be no human additions to our household.)

Oh - and Flipper. Poor Flip. I forget to feed him, I forget to mention him, and yet he lives and seems happy enough.

What are your favorite colors?

You know, I hesitate to answer that question because even the colors I say I don't like show up in the right combinations, in the right projects. Green, red, blue, brown and pink are always safe.

Do you have any allergies?

Not yarn or coffee related.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Interesting information BUT, I am already planning your Hanukkah gift :-)

Lapdog Creations said...

You need to knit yourself a pair of fingerless mitts / gauntlets! They work wonders in the winter when driving or holding the dog leash - I swear by mine (just 1 pair so far - see Ravelry, but I will be casting on the Fetching mitts soon)!

Anonymous said...

This swap is sooo tempting! I would if I wasn't moving (which means unknown addresses). Hope you have fun!

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure that with all the times you've given me crap about it, you know registration doesn't open the 16th :p

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

ah, Chan, welcome to the dark side! :-) coffee, that is. I would love it if fate made me your parter in this exchange, you gave good clues to your tastes!! :-)