Wednesday, September 26, 2007

No Pictures

I'm in a bind here, folks. I'm knitting, I promise, but it's for Anne and as she is the sole hostess for the Felted Bag swap, she knows I'm her pal. So, pattern and yarn selections are the only secrets I can have. That means not even a shot for you. I toyed with the idea of a sepia shot, but that wouldn't tell you much and would tell her too much. I feel like a mean department chief, writing rules and regs to punish everyone just because one idiot firefighter can't behave, but those are the breaks. I can tell you it's an awesome pattern and I know she'll love it and the colors I selected. I tried to figure out how to post it on Ravelry without giving away too much, but trust me, she's know, even if I just put it on my queue.

In other no picture news, we are supposed to run with the topic of the week for the Felted Bag swap...

As of this weekend, the season has officially changed on the calendar - but what makes Autumn feel like Autumn to you, and why?

It's all about the toes. As y'all know, ask me the same question, two minutes apart, and you'll get different answers. I'm fickle, but I can live with that. I'm still impressionable, and my moods and what's going on around me impact my opinions strongly. Today, it's about the toes. A local friend and I have a running joke about our toes, because we both live in flipflops and the like all summer. This year, I'm enjoying my knitted socks, so I've given in to conventional wisdom and if my feet are cold in the morning, I wear at least enclosed-toe shoes, but I've really enjoyed the couple of truly chilly mornings where socks were in order. (LOVE the way Lorna's Laces feel on my feet. Must have more.) In the past, typing "Toes covered" in my email to my friend has been a lament, but this year, not so much. And yes folks, she *IS* on my list to receive handknit socks for Christmas. I just have to get a mutual friend to confirm size...

Now, for the conventional answer. Everything. I love the whole autumnal package. While I relish the four distinct seasons here in Central Virginia, and you'll find me calling each my favorite as it arrives, autumn is the real, true favorite. I love a crisp, cool morning. I love watching the leaves change. There's nothing like wrapping up in my favorite old corduroy shirt of my Dad's on a Sunday afternoon. Apples. All things pumpkin. You get the point.

Hands down, this year, the upcoming tenth anniversary with the Knight is the biggest part of autumn. Both of us had brief first marriages, and I know that there were plenty of folks whispering that we wouldn't last. Picture me smug, and happy. To celebrate, I'm finally ordering wedding photos. Maybe I'll scan one or two for you. I especially love my highly controversial bridal portrait proofs. I had two done; one of just me, for my stepmom and my mother inlaw, both of whom scoffed at my primary poses, which were with my boys - Fred and Mugsy - and then my father inlaw and I have that one, with me and the dogs.

6 comments:

Sue J. said...

You aren't going to believe this but I ran my family's portrait studio for 22 years, and we specialized in weddings. I would love, love to see your wedding photos. We did all sorts of weddings with pups in the photos. We even had one wedding where the best man was a Yellow Lab. Congratulations on your ten years together.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I love Autumn, too :)

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary!

Wendy said...

Was wondering if you were planning on attending the Fall Fiber Festival down in Orange next weekend? I think Jaz and I are going on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I feel like a mean department chief, writing rules and regs to punish everyone just because one idiot firefighter can't behave, but those are the breaks

AHEM. I am not one idiot who can't behave!! POUT.

Dorothy said...

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! That's the best part of EVERYTHING, isn't it? Knowing you're with the person you're meant to be with!

Unknown said...

Congrats on 10years. I love your basset - what a beautiful boy. Aren't they just the sweetest dogs ever? g