Monday, July 2, 2007

Something to Crow About



I just had to show you the little decanter my mother inlaw gave me for my birthday. I collect roosters (not chickens, not hens, not chicks, just ROOSTERS), and I finally agreed with my husband that I am about maxed out. However, my mother inlaw couldn't resist this guy, and I'm glad. He's stuffed with oil, assorted peppers and garlic cloves. Isn't he beautiful? I couldn't find a spot to photograph him with justice, so... forgive me. He's just so colorful and fun, and he makes me smile. And no, I won't use the contents within, for two reasons. Firstly, because I am a woman who believes sell by dates really mean use by, and use by dates are gospel, so there's no way I'm using questionably cured peppers and such. Secondly, how could I disturb the beauty? In time, they'll fade and I'll be so glad Anne talked me into blogging, because I'll come back to this post and see what colors he had originally, and the pick my own, with something blue in there, and a greener green, and that strong yellow I don't like in anything else, because that's what Mack and Jackie looked like. (Yep. I'm a farm girl and I had pet roosters.)
My husband is still waiting on the toneau cover for his truck, so UPS, please let it come tomorrow, okay? He was very disappointed when UPS brought me another birthday present, but while I'm very excited about my pewter water pitcher, he wasn't nor did he think you would be. (He didn't think you'd care about the rooster either, but I already know Devon cares, so he's wrong. So there!) He actually tossed the padded envelope at me that must be from my No Sheep Swap upstream pal at me, but the Love inside didn't seem to mind. Seriously folks, I know you're tired of my bamboo fetish, but this stuff (with 30% silk!) is something beyond soft. It's the Peter & MaryJane colorway, and you know how I like my cutsie colorway names! I can't wait to knit with it, so just as soon as I find a pattern, look out!
The grumpy yarn mail tosser did give me a swift and a ball winder for my birthday, and last night, when I mentioned that I needed scales to figure out how much of my Royal Bamboo I had left, Mr. eBay as we call him let his mouse do the clicking, and I'll soon be annoying you with my precise reports on how much yarn it takes to do each sock in a pair. So, he is a good man, even if he misjudges your lack of interest in pewter and decorative pickled stuff in a funky jar.
And congrats to Sharon, winner of the 100th post contest. I'll be getting a prize in the mail soon! She's also one of the hostesses for the very clever Virtual Vacation Swap. If you missed out on this one, bookmark it and stay tuned. I won't miss the next one (I'm sure this is just the first of many!), and I'll make sure you don't either.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh no, you can definitely keeping talking about bamboo. I would definitely listen ;-)

Wait, did you just say I was the winner?!? Oh gosh (blush) Thank you! Congratulations on reaching your 100th post!

NH Knitting Mama said...

The rooster is cute! You should post a pic of your collection - I'd love to see it if it is really that big!

Devonshire said...

I do care about the Rooster and yes he is gorgeous! Also what a lovely skein of bamboo/silk - the color is lovely. I look forward to seeing what you knit with it.

Sue J. said...

Ooohh, a swift, ball winder, and scale for your birthday! Score! Well deserved, I might add. You will wonder how you ever lived without them. Don't worry about too much bamboo. I love it. Again, the happiest of birthdays!