Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Good Enough


... for who it's for. That was popular in my youth, and it's true enough here. My first sock has room for improvement, but it will hold together and I'll certainly wear it. It's comfortable, I love the colors, and with pants over them, shoved into my closed back clogs, what's not to love? Fred wasn't impressed. I tried to get him to model it, since my husband isn't even home to share in this historic moment, but alas, putting on a human sock isn't the birthday boy's idea of fun.





To the right is Devon's heel turn. (I type single e, double l EVERY time.) See the turn? Couldn't have done it without her. By the way, some books are better than others in the stitch definition departments. Live and learn. I have one book I'll be taking to the used book store, because it's just not helpful. ssk is not just slip a stitch, slip another, knit a third stitch, no matter what the chart says!



That's the gusset. The group project that it was, leading into the instep, which Anne all but knit for me through the power of the internet. Thanks gals, and to my other online knitting pals who have made this sock a reality. I'm going to look like a gooblette parading around in them when the mate is done, but that's okay. There will hopefully be some obvious differences between the two, like that ridge where the leg moves on into the foot on the front. That dented row? Yeah, that's it. At least I'll be able to tell first sock from first sock's mate.

I'll certainly cast on again tomorrow for the mate. Maybe we can get some pictures truly worth sharing tomorrow too. Right now, I have a little birthday party to attend. My husband came home with a cupcake for Fred.








6 comments:

Devonshire said...

It looks great!!!!! Awesome job on your first sox. Best of luck with the next one.

tibbers sox said...

cool sock! I like the colors. I hear that you like bright colors. Do you prefer long socks like the one you made, or do you also like ankle sox?

Sue J. said...

Congratulations! You did it, and a fine job, too. Each one will get easier and better. It's a constant learning process. Love the colorway, too. No SSS for you.

Barb said...

your sock looks great :)

Anonymous said...

Your sock looks so great! My first was not nearly as nice. I look forward to s picture of your feet in them both. At your speed of knitting, it shouldn't take long!

Anonymous said...

You needed little help from me dear - more a confidence boost than anything about knitting. You are a sock knitter. Like how that sounds, dontcha?? :)