Friday, May 11, 2007

Knitting Survey

In a minute, I'll comply with Anne's brand of payback, but first, a little nod to actual knitting. I have three stripes done on my Charmed Knits beanie. I plan to finish it this weekend and send it on its way. I'll have more than enough yarn for another Ravenclaw version, as I cast on for the small size, since it is my first hat, not realizing HOW SMALL it was. I also have yarn for a Slytherin hat or two as well. I also cast on, in five-needle fashion, with the Lorna's Laces I showed when I went all loopy over my The Loope Ewe package. I really wanted to try the 4-needle version first, but it seems the cotton blend I purchased is way too tiny to use for the pattern I wanted to use without adapting and adjusting, and that just isn't going to happen on my first dpn pair. Right now, I've simply cast on my 56 stitches and spread them out on the four needles. There's a neat join in the book I'm using I want to try, but I ran out of time before dinner. You *KNOW* pictures will be forthcoming.

Now, to the survey:


Knitting Survey

(Mark bold the things you HAVE done in knitting, in italics the things you PLAN or WANT to do in knitting, and do nothing with the rest)

Afghan
I-cord
Garter stitch
Knitting with metal wire
Shawl
Stockinette stitch
Socks: top-down
Socks: toe-up
Knitting with camel yarn
Mittens: Cuff-up
Mittens: Tip-down
Hat - In progress counts, right?!
Knitting with silk
Moebius band knitting
Participating in a KAL
Sweater
Drop stitch patterns
Knitting with recycled/secondhand yarn
Slip stitch patterns
Knitting with banana fiber yarn
Domino knitting (=modular knitting)
Twisted stitch patterns
Knitting with bamboo yarn
Two end knitting
Charity knitting
Knitting with soy yarn
Cardigan
Toy/doll clothing
Knitting with circular needles
Baby items
Knitting with your own hand-spun yarn
Slippers
Graffiti knitting
Continental knitting
Designing knitted garments
Cable stitch patterns (incl. Aran)
Lace patterns
Publishing a knitting book - oh wouldn’t that be amazing!
Participate in an exchange
Scarf
Teaching a child to knit
American/English knitting (as opposed to continental) - definitely not my ideal!
Knitting to make money
Buttonholes
Knitting with alpaca - actually have the alpaca/cashmere on hand
Fair Isle knitting
Norwegian knitting
Dying with plant colors
Knitting items for a wedding
Household items (dishcloths, washcloths, tea cosies…)
Knitting socks (or other small tubular items) on one or two circulars
Knitting with someone else’s hand-spun yarn
Knitting with dpns
Holiday related knitting
Teaching a male how to knit
Bobbles - Have the B4 pattern in hand
Knitting for a living
Knitting with cotton
Knitting smocking
Dying yarn
Steeks
Knitting art
Knitting two socks on two circulars simultaneously
Fulling/felting
Knitting with wool
Textured knitting
Kitchener stitch
Knitted flowers
Purses/bags
Knitting with beads - also B4
Swatching
Long Tail CO
Entrelac - have a pattern for a bag
Knitting and purling backwards
Machine knitting
Knitting with self patterning/self striping/variegated yarn
Stuffed toys
Knitting with cashmere
Darning
Jewelry
Knitting with synthetic yarn
Writing a pattern
Gloves
Intarsia
Knitting with linen - have a linen blend on hand too
Knitting for preemies
Tubular CO
Free-form knitting
Short rows
Cuffs/fingerless mits/arm-warmers
Pillows - have an entrelac pattern for these too!
Knitting a pattern from an on-line knitting magazine
Rug
Knitting on a loom
Thrummed knitting
Knitting a gift
Knitting for pets
Shrug/bolero/poncho
Knitting with dog/cat hair - I'm assuming that knitting dog hair INTO projects doesn't count?
Hair accessories - my hair is too short to need accessories!
Knitting in public

What have you learned to do that has marked a definite change in your knitting life?

LOL - That I am a continental knitter. The first book I picked up as a refresher led me in the English direction. It was awkward, and I kept thinking, "This doesn't feel right!" More recently, that I am a sock knitter. Socks and bags call to me, like nothing else does. That there is a big, wide, almost infinite world of things to be knitted out there!

No comments: